This list is always a bit of a challenge – I get stuck in my podcasting ways and don’t branch out. I get a TON of suggestions on podcasts to listen to but finding the time, along with my increased audiobook consumption this past year has been a struggle. Okay, enough excuses – in no particular order, here’s what kept my ear holes happy this year…
- What a Day – Every morning while getting ready for the day, making my smoothie and heading to my workout, I guarantee I am listening to WAD. I am sad that Akilah Hughes left the show, but am proud of her for standing up for her mental health. (Side note, her audiobook is great!) This podcast has kept me sane and given me helpful insights into national issues from the insurrection to unionizations and of course the latest on COVID.
- OPB Politics Now – Locally I love having this podcast each week keep me up to date on what’s going on in Salem and with our state elected officials. I do my best to stay on top of this, but the weekly recaps are always so helpful. Honorable Mention to Think Out Loud also by OPB for their daily podcast which I listen to at least one or two stories a week.
- Late Night Lit – When your favorite late night host (Seth Meyers) is a voracious reader (and fun fact – big comic book fan like me!) and then starts a monthly podcast about reading? SOLD! Each month one of the producers talks to authors and share great book recommendations. If you are a book nerd like me, add this to your list!
- The Turning – Spoiler alert: Mother Theresa was maybe not that great a person. I mean sure she’s a saint, but this podcast was a fascinating look into The Sisters of Charity order that she founded, and the nuns who left. It’s fascinating if you’re a big fan of religion gone wrong (like me.)
- In God We Lust – Having attended a Christian college I understood some of the rules/regulations that Liberty University has. Which was why it was an even MORE bonkers story about Jerry Fallwell Jr. and his wife …and the pool boy. Oh and don’t forget the Trump of it all. This shorter (6 eps) podcast would be a great holiday binge.
- Parks and Recollection – I am loving this deep dive into each episode of Parks & Rec, my favorite TV show of all time. The behind the scenes stories and trivia have been super fun!
- Offline – I have always appreciated Jon Favreau’s interview and conversational podcast style. While I stopped listening to Pod Save America a while back, Offline is a great conversation about how to handle issues in the real world. If you like Jason Kander’s Majority 54 you need to add this to your list.
- Foo Fighters – Yes, I also listen to music! We bought tickets to see the Foo Fighters next summer and I am VERY excited! Although a variety of music makes its way through our house, we will always rock Foo. AND if you missed it – The Hannukah Sessions on YouTube are fantastic!
- The Rise & Fall of Mars Hill – Yes you ARE seeing a trend in my podcast tendencies. We lived in the Puget Sound region when Mars Hill was becoming THE mega church in town. We had friends who attended, and as I listened to the podcast I kept thinking of one colleague who was a young recent college grad, single and working in a bookstore, that went to Mars Hill and was clearly the target demographic.
- Lake Street Dive – I really should listen to my brothers music recommendations more than I do. Both brothers (and my dad) have great music taste (well no, the youngest likes country…) but when earlier this year my brother mentioned Lake Street Dive, I added them into HEAVY rotation this year. I’m sorry it took me so long.
What podcasts kept you moving on dog walks? What music kept you company while cooking?
Leave a Reply